Outback Family History

State Library of Western Australia

Aboriginal HistoryBook FinderCemeteriesHotelsMaps of the GoldfieldsMilitaryMinersMiscellaneousPeoplePlaces on the Goldfields Place Index A-Z

This website is dedicated to the memory of my two dear friends Sandy Duncan and Shyama Peebles who both passed away in 2012.


Mount Malcolm > WW1 Soldiers - Mount Malcolm

WW1 Soldier
Enlisted or Born in Mount Malcolm

Further information can be obtained from National Achives of Australia

Basley John Henry : Place of Birth, Malcolm WA ; Place of Enlistment, Blackboy Hill WA ;
Next of Kin; Mother - Dore Elizabeth Ann
McKinnon Alex Edward : Place of Birth, Mount Malcolm WA ; Place of Enlistment, Perth WA ;
Next of Kin; Father - McKinnon John

Researched by Dave Spain:-


1627 PTE John Henry Basley was born at Malcolm, Western Australia, in about March 1898.  His Mother was Elizabeth Ann Delbridge and his Father was James Basley and they resided in Leonora.  Shortly after his enlistment he listed his mother’s residence as Subiaco, Western Australia.  He was 5 ft 4 inches (157 cm) tall and weighted 126 lbs (57 kgs).  He had a fair complexion with blue eyes and fair hair.  He was single, and his religion was Church of England.  He was a labourer.

PTE JH Basley enlisted at Blackboy Hill on the 22nd January 1916.  He was allocated to the 46th Training Depot for a basic training course from the 22nd January 1916 to the 5th March 1916 and on completion of his course was transferred to the 22nd Training Depot.  On the 17th March 1916, he was posted to the 2nd Reinforcements of the 51st Infantry Battalion and the Battalion embarked for England on the HMAT A60 (Aeneas).   During the voyage to England, PTE JH Basley contracted severe Gastroenteritis and he was admitted to the 3rd Australian General Hospital at Abbassia, Egypt, on the 31st May 1916.  He remained in hospital until the 14th July 1916 and then was granted Convalescent Leave at Mont Ayah, Egypt, until he again embarked for England from Alexandria on the RMS Megantic on the 6th August 1916.  On arrival in England on the 22nd August 1916, he was admitted to the Military Hospital at Fargo with an ingrown toe nail.  On the 27th October 1916, he was transferred to the 44th Infantry Battalion and further training was undertaken at the 13th Training Battalion, located in Codford, from the 6th September 1916 to the 26th November 1916. 

On completion of his training he was posted to France.  He embarked on the SS Princess Henriette to reinforce the 51st Infantry Battalion and on arrival he was with the Australian General Base Depot.  On the 2nd December 1917 it was discovered he was underage.  It appears he had enlisted at the age of 16.  He remained at the AGBD until 17th January 1918.  On the 26th January 1918 he was transferred to the Australian Corps School. He remained with this Unit until the 17th January 1919.  During his time with the ACS he contracted influenza and was repatriated to England on the 18th January 1919.  On the 18th February 1919 he was with the 1st Command Depot via the 1st Australian General Hospital.  On the 31st March 1919 he embarked on the HMAS Khyber as an invalid with influenza.  He disembarked at Fremantle on the 3rd May 1919 and after a stay at Perth Hospital was discharged on the 5th July 1919. 

He claimed his medals on the 7th October 1924.  At that time, he lived at 119 Aberdeen St Perth WA.  




8015 PTE Alex Edward McKinnon was born in Mount Malcolm, Western Australia, on the 6th March 1900.  His Father was John McKinnon and his Mother was Louisa McKinnon.  The family lived at 134 Sewell St, East Fremantle, Western Australia.  He was 5ft 5inches (162 cm) tall and weighed 110 lbs (50 kg).  He had a fair complexion with grey eyes and black hair.  He was single, and his religion was Church of England.  He was a farm hand (labourer).

PTE A McKinnon enlisted in Perth on the 14th July 1917.  At the time of enlistment his Mother gave her permission to enlist but not to embark for active service until he reaches the age of 19 years.  His Father was on active service with the Royal Australian Navy.  He was allocated to the 22nd Training Depot at Blackboy Hill from 16th July 1917 to the 22nd July 1917 and then was transferred for guard duty with the 5th Military District Guard from 23rd July 1917 to 31st July 1917.  He was then again transferred back to the 22nd training Depot on the 1st August 1917 and by the 28th August 1917 had completed his basic training.  On the 29th August 1917 he was allocated to the 27th Reinforcements of the 11th Infantry Battalion.  PTE A McKinnon embarked from Melbourne on the HMAT A60 (Aeneas) on the 30th October 1917.  He disembarked at Devonport on the 27th December 1917.  He marched into Sutton Veny, Folkstone, England, on the same day to continue with his training with the 1st Australian Training Battalion.

PTE A McKinnon remained at the 1st TRG BN until the 6th May 1918.  From the 30th January 1918 to the 17th April 1918 he had several bouts of illness caused by Appendicitis, but he eventually completed his training.   He embarked for France and arrived at the 4th Garrison Battalion Depot at Staples, France on the 7th May 1918.  He was taken on strength with the 11th Infantry Battalion in the field on the 13th May 1918.   After participating in several battles in the Somme Area with the 11th Infantry Battalion he was allocated to the Australian Corps Working Party for burial detail.  The 11th Infantry Battalion were pulled back to the Havre, France, for rest and leave.   While on Havre, he was listed as AWOL from 0900 on the 1st September to 0900 2nd September 1918 and received 7 days confined to barracks and forfeiture of one day’s pay by LT WB Forster.  On the 6th September 1918, PTE A McKinnon was taken to the 2nd Australian Field Ambulance and then to the 53rd Casualty Clearing Station, sick.  On the 12th September 1918, he was invalided to England from France seriously ill.  On arrival to the War Hospital at Exeter he was diagnosed with severe Appendicitis.  He was transferred to the 3rd Axillary Hospital at Dartford, England.  On the 3rd December 1918, he was granted leave until the 23rd December 1918. 

On the last day of his leave he was charged with assaulting a Police Constable and fined 20 shillings in a civilian court.  After suffering more bouts of Appendicitis, PTE A McKinnon was invalided to Australia on the 3rd March 1919.   He returned to Perth on the HT Euripides and disembarked on the 10th April 1919.  On the 22nd May 1919 he was discharged medically unfit.   He claimed his medals.

On the 23rd February 1938, Alex Edward McKinnon signed a Statuary Declaration stating he had lost his Discharge Certificate.  He stated he was born on the 6th March 1900.  This means he was underage for active service overseas in 1918.   His birth was not registered in the Mt Margaret District (Malcolm/Leonora) until 1908.  



Previous Record Mount Malcolm Pictures page 5

Return to Mount Malcolm

Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required