The Place for Local and Family History
on the Western Australian Goldfields

Black Flag > Black Flag


Black Flag
Western Australia

R.H. Henning and party pegged the Black Flag lease, which in October 1894 was reported to be "doing very well". They sold the property the following year to Lord Sudley’s syndicate for $48,000.

By this time men were opening up their claims with good results.

In December the following year there was an exciting discovery at Black Flag. Specimens worth $4000 and a nugget, "The Joker", weighing 303 ounces 10 weights were found in the Devon Consols mine. This belonged to the All Nations Prop., an Adelaide based company.

Flag Flag had its own racecourse as early as 1896 and at the Jockey Club’s July meeting, carried our under W.A.T.C. rules, the riders were ordered to wear their own colours.

IN July 1897 land at Black Flag was gazetted for a townsite and the land thrived until the two "big" mines, the Black Flag and the Lady Bountiful closed down around 1906-7. Most of the "shows" in the district were worked out by then so in time this town, like so many others, died.

From "Ghost Towns of the North Country" by Norma King


Return to Black Flag

Next Record Black Flag Cemetery


Would you like to subscribe to our newsletter?

Maybe next time! No, thanks.



* indicates required fields