- Aboriginal History
- Maps of the Goldfields
- Places on the Goldfields
- Place Index A-Z
This website is dedicated to the memory of my two dear friends Sandy Duncan and Shyama Peebles who both passed away in 2012.
Kamballie > Kamballie
At the turn of the twentieth century, the West Australian Government was under pressure from Kalgoorlie-Boulder mining companies to provide an
efficient means of transportation. Bowing to this pressure, the "loop" service line was constructed in 1897 to transport freight and mining
equipment, but because of the area it encompassed, the railway quickly became the main means of passenger transport for the local residents.
Leaving Kalgoorlie Station, the loop branched east to serve the smaller towns of Williamstown, Brown Hill, Hill End and Trafalgar, before entering
Boulder City via Kamballie Station and Forrest Street. Leaving Boulder City Station, thus forming the "outer loop", the line passed through the stations
and sidings of Dunlop, Hainault and Golden Gate, before eventually reaching Kallaroo, Halfway, Coventry Street, Roberts Street, Hannan Street Station,
and Victoria Park before returning to the Kalgoorlie Terminus.
In the heyday of 1902-3, a minimum of 15 trains a day passed through the small stations of the outer loop, with their wooden station houses and
limited facilities. The introduction of trams on the Goldfields caused a reduction in train traffic and, due to the 1930s mining decline, the service
on the outer loop ceased. Traffic on the main line was heavily reduced to five goods wagons with passenger cars attached per week to Kamballie,
although after the Depression, this improved to ten trains per week.
By the 1950s, only goods trains operated to Kamballie, although for a short time during those years a railcar called the "Tin Hare" travelled between
Kalgoorlie and Boulder, stopping at all railway sidings and even rail crossings. By 1974 only one oil train a week was running and, when Westrail
closed all non-standard lines east of Merredin, this ceased and the permanent way between Trafalgar and Hannan St was given to the mines.
|Return to Kamballie||
Next Record Kamballie Pictures